Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: synchronicityII Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121095  
Subject: Re: 401k withdrawal taxes at retiremtent Date: 7/10/2013 1:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
The reason I want to cash out the 401k is to avoid paying higher taxes on it after I start drawing Social Security. The lower tax bracket would save me 10% in taxes. Then there is also the matter of estate planning on which, after my demise, it will be a lot easier for my heir to access his inheritance if it is in a cash acccount rather than tied up in a 401k or IRA.

Rolling the funds into a Roth may be an option, but I believe that I would then have to wait 5 years to withdraw any money from it. I am also not sure how inheritance law handles a Roth.

As other knowledgeable posters have noted, you REALLY need to talk to a professional who knows about retirement and estate planning. As noted, there are a number of ways to mitigate increased taxes which may result from Required Minimum Distributions (RMDs) being made while receiving social security benefits. The "save 10% in taxes" may not be entirely correct, and you need someone who can A) crunch some numbers specific to your situation and B) present various options which you may not be totally educated about currently. The "convert $X/yr to a Roth" option is just one that was noted earlier.

Obviously we don't know your entire situation, but your comments regarding estate planning would appear to be incorrect.

Circular 230 disclaimer - this is the intermaweb and I could be a dog for all you know. Talk to a real professional, don't rely on anything I say, and saying "I read this stuff online" won't help you with the IRS.

-synchronicity
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Not Cheering the Shire Deal
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement