No. of Recommendations: 1
The reason is, a durable POA document can be revoked, therefore you could give them your lawyer's form, then revoke it, and they'd never know.

This is the same experience I've had. By law, POA's are revocable at any time. So when you present a POA, the person/company you're presenting it to has no idea whether it's still valid or it has been revoked. And you have no way of proving that it hasn't been revoked.

The way POA's should really work is they should have to be registered with the county, like a land deed or a mortgage loan secured by land. And of course revoked by filing again with the county. Then anyone you submit the POA to could go to the county's website, type in the filing number, and see whether it's been revoked or not.

But the government is incompetent and doesn't care, so basically POA's are pretty close to useless. Hardly anyone accepts them, in my experience.

For whatever it's worth, I think LegalZoom is probably a fine way to go, as long as you've done some research on how POA's work in your state and have some idea what you're trying to accomplish and what's permitted and not permitted by law. And if you follow LegalZoom's instructions precisely (like as to notarization and witnesses). If you have no idea what you're doing, LegalZoom might not be the best choice.

Phil
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement