Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: westla6025 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121438  
Subject: Re: IRS sent refund now they want it back?? Date: 9/2/2001 1:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The refund was sent to me in June of 2000 so it's definitely less then 2 years right now. However, the letter I received the other day said they will send me a bill in about 8 weeks and if I agree I owe them that amount then to pay it when I receive that bill. So that would bring us to about November 2001, which means they would have about 7 months to come after me even if it was an unassessable erroneous refund. Thanks for the info though ... I will do some research on unassessable vs. assessable and also see what my cpa has to say.

As far as the other reply, they just totally screwed up. I did everything correctly, paid about 30k in takes, then 3 or 4 months later they sent me a letter saying I figured blah blah blah incorrectly and am now due a refund. Apparentely they recently realized that THEY are the ones who screwed up, and now want the money back. I've been doing some research on this lately and this may be related to a problem the IRS had regarding 1999 taxes. They said in a bulletin somewhere that they incorrectly calculated many peoples' refunds for this year.

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. It just seems CRAZY to me that I should have to bend over backwards to pay this money back after all this time has elapsed, when they are the ones who caused the problem. We'll see what they say once I talk to them I guess.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement