Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Re: IRS to put up new Iron Curtain? Date: 4/18/2012 6:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 16
The Republican House of Representatives may soon follow the Democratic Senate and give the IRS the power to confiscate your passport on mere suspicion of owing taxes.

"Mere suspicion" my left foot. I haven't looked at the House version, but the Senate version required the presence of a Federal tax lien, which doesn't arise unless you self-assess and don't pay or a deficiency is assessed after you have an opportunity to appeal, including judicial review, and you don't pay.

That said, I wish I still had some contacts at the IRS so I could find out whether this was their initiative or someone else's. Many years ago I tossed a similar idea around with Counsel, who quickly said that it would likely run into severe Constitutional problems.

If it's enacted and enforced, I'm sure we'll find out in due course.

Genette Eysselinck renounced [her US citizenship] early this year. Her husband, a European Union civil servant, saw no good reason to share his account information with the IRS, she says. And after considering all her options, Eysselinck decided that renouncing was the best path [as opposed to divorcing her husband].

Uh huh. Sure. Right. Nevermind that she could have filed Married, Filing Separately, and her husband would be required to share squat with the IRS. Much simpler to, shall we say, forget to mention her most obvious option. Pure oversight, I'm sure. As the Church Lady would say, "How convenient."

She spent her final months as an American collecting paperwork and filing tax returns from the past five years, even though she says she owed nothing. Her last act as a citizen was to swear before an American flag that she renounced all ties with the United States. She called the process "gut wrenching."

"I grew up in a military family where patriotic feeling was very strong" Eysselinck says.

I just love it when people who don't comply with the tax law wrap themselves in the flag. I have one word for Ms. Eysselinck. Twaddle.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement