UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JohnEBgood Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1949386  
Subject: The Romney Energy Plan Date: 10/14/2012 4:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 41
I thought I'd check out Mr Romney's website to see what his plan is.

This is where I looked: http://www.mittromney.com/jobsplan

After about 15 min of trying to figure it out, I was very confused.
There is an introducion, a "one pager", and the "full plan" - which doesn't seem to agree with the others....but maybe somebody changed their mind ;o)

The “one pager” had a four point energy plan. NONE of these even mentioned alternative energy. It’s basically, “Drill Baby Drill” and “stop regulating the coal industry”

Why am I not surprised?

Jack
Print the post Back To Top
Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1824595 of 1949386
Subject: Re: The Romney Energy Plan Date: 10/15/2012 1:09 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
You don't want to understand. Try this...

http://www.mittromney.com/issues/energy

Mitt Romney will make America an energy superpower, rapidly and responsibly increasing our own production and partnering with our allies Canada and Mexico to achieve energy independence on this continent by 2020. This will require genuine support for increased energy production, a more rational approach to regulation, and a government that facilitates private-sector-led development of new energy technologies by focusing on funding research and removing barriers, rather than chasing fads and picking winners and losers.

* Empower states to control onshore energy development

* States will be empowered to control all forms of energy production on all lands within their borders, excluding only those that are specifically designated off-limits. Federal agencies will certify, but the states will lead.

* Open offshore areas for energy development

Mitt will establish the most robust five-year offshore lease plan in history, that opens new areas for resource development – including off the coasts of Virginia and the Carolinas – and sets minimum production targets to increase accountability.

* Pursue a North American Energy Partnership

Mitt will approve the Keystone XL pipeline, establish a new regional agreement to facilitate cross-border energy investment, promote and expand regulatory cooperation with Canada and Mexico and institute fast-track regulatory approval processes for cross-border pipelines and other infrastructure.

* Ensure accurate assessment of energy resources

Instead of relying on decades-old surveys developed with decades-old technologies, Mitt’s plan facilitates new energy assessments to determine the true extent of our resource endowment.

* Restore transparency and fairness to permitting and regulation

Mitt will pursue measured reforms of our environmental laws and regulations to strengthen environmental protection without destroying jobs or paralyzing industries. Mitt’s plan will also streamline the gauntlet of reviews, processes, administrative procedures, and lawsuits that mire so many new projects in red tape.

* Facilitate private-sector-led development of new energy technologies

Mitt will promote innovation by focusing the federal government on the job it does best – research and development – and will eliminate any barriers that might prevent new energy technologies from succeeding on their own merits. Strengthening and streamlining regulations and permitting processes will benefit the development of both traditional and alternative energy sources, and encourage the use of a diverse range of fuels including natural gas in transportation.

MITT’S PLAN HAS WIDE-RANGING BENEFITS FOR AMERICA.

* More than three million new jobs, including over one million in manufacturing;

* An economic resurgence adding more than $500 billion to GDP;

* A stronger dollar and a reduced trade deficit;

* More than $1 trillion in revenue for federal, state, and local governments;

* Lower energy prices for job creators and middle-class families; and

* National security strengthened by freedom from dependence on foreign energy supplies.

Author: JohnEBgood Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1824602 of 1949386
Subject: Re: The Romney Energy Plan Date: 10/15/2012 2:45 AM
Recommendations: 0
Thank you for adding all of those details, CCinOC. But here's the thing: still no real effort to develop alternative energy. Hint: oil, coal and natural gas don't qualify.

Empower states to control onshore energy development

Which means offshore drilling for oil, with no federal regulations. Remember Deepwater Horizon????

Mitt will approve the Keystone XL pipeline

No further review of environmental consequences. It's OIL...it's GOOD!

Mitt will pursue measured reforms of our environmental laws and regulations to strengthen environmental protection without destroying jobs or paralyzing industries. Mitt’s plan will also streamline the gauntlet of reviews, processes, administrative procedures, and lawsuits that mire so many new projects in red tape.

Get rid of the EPA. Gotcha!

Mitt will promote innovation by focusing the federal government on the job it does best – research and development – and will eliminate any barriers that might prevent new energy technologies from succeeding on their own merits. Strengthening and streamlining regulations...

Sorry....I missed that part of the Constitution. Where it says that the federal government is in charge of R&D.....but should not regulate anything. Could you show me where it is?

Jack

Author: JoelCairo Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1824603 of 1949386
Subject: Re: The Romney Energy Plan Date: 10/15/2012 2:49 AM
Recommendations: 10
I understand -- full steam ahead on production. Zero on efficiency improvements or renewables. Eliminate the only regulations that effectively protect public health and safety, and the environment. Give the states power over the peoples' land.;

About as narrow and impractical as you'd expect from someone who thinks he knows how to run businesses because he's good at buying and selling them and taking fees both ways.

I particularly like the part where he has no ideas of his own, just to get out of the way, but he's willing to spend our tax dollars to do so.

Author: saunafool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1824607 of 1949386
Subject: Re: The Romney Energy Plan Date: 10/15/2012 3:38 AM
Recommendations: 2
I read it too. It's "drill baby drill and more coal too."

It is like Romney's convention speech--a hollow wish for a past that cannot be recreated.

They don't want hybrids and public transportation; they want Lincoln Continentals and Oldsmobile Delta 88's and $0.23/gallon gas and ice cream malteds down a the local sock hop and sissy-lue dancing with her new dress and nothin' bad never happens and everyone is white and clean and happy and has a nice house and picket fence and the air is clean and when you play hooky with your pals you go fishin down at the local pond and you gotta dodge the truant officer and sometimes you go huntin varmints with a slingshot you made from old rubber tires made with real rubber from the Amazon because cuttin down the forest ain't no big deal and we'll never run out of oil and it's OK that dad smacks mamma around sometimes because she was lippin off about the housework and the only reason people are poor is because they are lazy, not because we discriminate against them and keep them in different schools and Ronald Reagan.

Author: Stonewashed Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1824612 of 1949386
Subject: Re: The Romney Energy Plan Date: 10/15/2012 5:26 AM
They don't want hybrids and public transportation; they want Lincoln Continentals and Oldsmobile Delta 88's and $0.23/gallon gas and ice cream malteds down a the local sock hop and sissy-lue dancing with her new dress and nothin' bad never happens and everyone is white and clean and happy and has a nice house and picket fence and the air is clean and when you play hooky with your pals you go fishin down at the local pond and you gotta dodge the truant officer and sometimes you go huntin varmints with a slingshot you made from old rubber tires made with real rubber from the Amazon because cuttin down the forest ain't no big deal and we'll never run out of oil and it's OK that dad smacks mamma around sometimes because she was lippin off about the housework and the only reason people are poor is because they are lazy, not because we discriminate against them and keep them in different schools and Ronald Reagan.

What a stupid, ignorant racist thing to say.

Author: Stonewashed Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1824613 of 1949386
Subject: Re: The Romney Energy Plan Date: 10/15/2012 5:34 AM
Remember Deepwater Horizon????

------------------

http://geology.com/articles/satellite-photo-earth-at-night.s...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_electricit...

Author: Stonewashed Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1824615 of 1949386
Subject: Re: The Romney Energy Plan Date: 10/15/2012 5:45 AM
Oh, and one more thing sauna..

Your profile says you work in the oil patch and one of your favorite stocks is XOM and you live and work in Luxemburg.

I have said it once and I will say it again. The ones screaming the loudest for renewable energy are quite often involved with competing with US oil reserves.

That means one of two things. (1)They don't want the competition of US reserves and/or (2) their own reserves are depleting and they want to scarf up companies in financial distress caused by political bs.

Author: saunafool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1824626 of 1949386
Subject: Re: The Romney Energy Plan Date: 10/15/2012 8:35 AM
Recommendations: 22
Stone,

Thanks for reminding me I need to update my profile. XOM isn't so much of a favorite anymore now that it is at $90+. I liked it much better at $58.

Also, there are a lot of places to work in the oil patch. My company improves the efficiency of some of the machines. We literally help the companies involved save MW of power every year.

I understand that the oil companies are going to be around for a long time, and that their operations consume huge amounts of power and water. My "green" contribution to the world is making them more efficient. Our customers are more profitable, we make a nice living, and the world is a slightly cleaner place.

I am not screaming for renewable energy. I just think that blindly following "drill baby drill" is a stupid, ignorant energy strategy for the U.S. Oil is only one part of the picture. Like President Obama, and unlike the Republicans, I do not believe that global warming is a hoax. At a bare minimum, we need to be developing the capability of switching away from coal at scale if necessary. We should certainly not be pushing for additional coal development.

I actually believe we should drill more for oil domestically for geopolitical security reasons. While you surely remember Deepwater Horizon, perhaps you don't remember that President Obama opened the Atlantic Coast to exploratory drilling the week before Deepwater Horizon happened. Only after the incident did the permitting process get stopped, and I would say with good reason. The industry sold a bill of goods--that deepwater drilling was safe and they were prepared for the worst in case something went wrong--that was proven woefully lacking.

So, Romney has earned my derision on this topic. He's selling a story of aboundant stocks of oil, gas, and coal with no negative consequences--it's like a view from the 1950's. Opie goin fishin with pa and ain't nothin wrong in the world. It wasn't true then (except on TV) and it is even less true today.

Author: Stonewashed Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1824659 of 1949386
Subject: Re: The Romney Energy Plan Date: 10/15/2012 10:12 AM
Also, there are a lot of places to work in the oil patch. My company improves the efficiency of some of the machines. We literally help the companies involved save MW of power every year.

I understand that the oil companies are going to be around for a long time, and that their operations consume huge amounts of power and water. My "green" contribution to the world is making them more efficient. Our customers are more profitable, we make a nice living, and the world is a slightly cleaner place.

I am not screaming for renewable energy. I just think that blindly following "drill baby drill" is a stupid, ignorant energy strategy for the U.S. Oil is only one part of the picture. Like President Obama, and unlike the Republicans, I do not believe that global warming is a hoax. At a bare minimum, we need to be developing the capability of switching away from coal at scale if necessary. We should certainly not be pushing for additional coal development.

I actually believe we should drill more for oil domestically for geopolitical security reasons. While you surely remember Deepwater Horizon, perhaps you don't remember that President Obama opened the Atlantic Coast to exploratory drilling the week before Deepwater Horizon happened. Only after the incident did the permitting process get stopped, and I would say with good reason. The industry sold a bill of goods--that deepwater drilling was safe and they were prepared for the worst in case something went wrong--that was proven woefully lacking.

So, Romney has earned my derision on this topic. He's selling a story of aboundant stocks of oil, gas, and coal with no negative consequences--it's like a view from the 1950's. Opie goin fishin with pa and ain't nothin wrong in the world. It wasn't true then (except on TV) and it is even less true today.

And you don't think most oil companies aren't going to do something green if it saves them money?

BP and the EPA were doing lap dances on the rig, that's why Deepwater happened. It had nothing to do with BP.

As far as XOM, that's when I bought it too, when nobody else wanted it. It is one of the few stocks I held on to. The dividends beats selling it and putting it into a money market or investing in some other scam.

Nobody is saying global warming isn't real. What they are saying it isn't the first time, nor will it likely be the last. If you want to look at a period in history when things were pretty grim, look into when it cooled down. Furthermore conservation is not akin to starving people to death for the good of all. They are also saying those standing on the podium preachin' have less than noble reasons.

BTW. There were some real examples of Opie and Andy, not to mention Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer. (Remember Andy was a widower, but he had Aunt what's her name, I think it was Mae). Just cuz Opie got to go fishin' instead of slaughtering hogs, doesn't mean ya have to hate him or begrudge him one pleasant moment after "they" burned down the south and poor folks farms that wouldn't play along with their secession BS.

Author: Stonewashed Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1824660 of 1949386
Subject: Re: The Romney Energy Plan Date: 10/15/2012 10:13 AM
I wrote:
It had nothing to do with BP.

I meant it had nothing to do with all oil companies.

Author: SGIZ1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1824676 of 1949386
Subject: Re: The Romney Energy Plan Date: 10/15/2012 11:30 AM
vs. Obama energy plan?

Deny the pipeline?
Deny drilling permits on public land?
Throw 90 billion dollars of tax payer money down the green energy rathole?
Trying to put the coal industry out of business?

Author: JohnEBgood Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1824695 of 1949386
Subject: Re: The Romney Energy Plan Date: 10/15/2012 12:26 PM
They don't want hybrids and public transportation; they want Lincoln Continentals and Oldsmobile Delta 88's and $0.23/gallon gas and ice cream malteds down a the local sock hop and sissy-lue dancing with her new dress and nothin' bad never happens and everyone is white and clean and happy and has a nice house and picket fence.....

GREAT POST, saunafool!

You left out a few things like Coca Cola and nice greasy hamburgers. But it was a brilliant summary of the modern(?) conservative's way of thinking(?)

Ike ain't President anymore. In fact there's a "you know who" in the White House. Wimmen ain't like they used to be.

Conservatives can march around in their Revolutionary War uniforms to the tune of Yankee Doodle all they want. The past is the past.

We have enough problems in the present, and it's about time that Romney and company stopped putting on that silly show.

Jack

Author: LEDfan Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1824703 of 1949386
Subject: Re: The Romney Energy Plan Date: 10/15/2012 12:50 PM
Someone, er, some people, er... some corporations paid good money to get that energy policy into Romney's platform.

IE, Koch and King Coal....and perhaps with the way we fund political runs, Saudi Arabia.....

Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1824909 of 1949386
Subject: Re: The Romney Energy Plan Date: 10/15/2012 11:48 PM
Recommendations: 1
Skippy says

vs. Obama energy plan?

Deny the pipeline?

It's a worthless scam.

Deny drilling permits on public land?

Some of them. If they were all allowed, a lot of land would be destroyed for any other purpose than pumping oil. Gotta have some balance.

Throw 90 billion dollars of tax payer money down the green energy rathole?

It's a good long-term investment.

Trying to put the coal industry out of business?

Dry your tears, honey, nobody's trying to do that.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement