Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
The rules vary from state to state, but in general the tax you pay to one state is deducted from what you pay to another one.
You file in New Jersey, showing tax paid.
If I understand correctly, you live in Atlanta and therefore are subject to Georgia tax; the company you work for is in New Jersey and therefore they deduct New Jersey tax.
Because you are earning income from a New Jersey company, this income may be subject to New Jersey tax. In any case you have to file the non-resident return, and may or may not get the tax back depending on New Jersey law, which I don't know.
You also file your Georgia return showing the amount of tax you paid to New Jersey. Probably that amount will be deductible from your Georgia tax. Since you
live in Georgia, any investment income you have will be subject to Georgia but not New Jersey tax.
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.