Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 7
The sale of stock, bond or mutual fund with a cap gain implies cannot use 8814. You have to use 8615.

8814: can use if income only from interest and dividends. Or capital gains distributions

8615: Use if you had capital gains from sale of stocks, bonds or mutual funds.

== == ==
Generally, it is best to do a separate return for the child in those states where the child's income alone is below that state's filing limit. In such a case, you avoid paying state taxes on the child's income.
Just an observation.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.