Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
The sale of stock, bond or mutual fund with a cap gain implies cannot use 8814. You have to use 8615.

...only if investment income is more than $1400. Below that amount, the kiddie tax rules don't apply. See line 1 of the 8615.

As you note, if the kiddie tax applies because investment income exceeds $1400 and there are Schedule D transactions, the child's income cannot be reported on Form 8814 with the parent's return.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.