Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19257  
Subject: Re: CCRC Date: 10/2/2012 10:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The sales pitch is hard to resist for folks like yourself who plan ahead. We have had some experience with a CCRC in Nashville, TN. The issue we ran into was simply the organization was very ready to move folks from one level of care to the next. Since they rent in Assisted was greater than Independent and the Nursing Home costs exceeded Assisted, I can see a motivation for such moved.

The person we are responsible for eventually left the Assisted part of the program, because they were forcing her into the skilled nursing unit. Hilda did not want to share a room or be confined to a hospital bed. She has managed quite well for over 5 years in another Assisted facility.

Lastly I worry about any place that to use your words, they can't throw you out even if you run out of money 20 or 30 years from now. Any private facility has to complete in the market place -- i.e. there is a limit to what they can charge the paying customers. So at the end of the day, they will have to limit the funds they spend taking care of folks who "run out of money" or else everybody is going to be sitting on the curb.

The Long Term Care Insurance industry made some serious actuarial errors and has burned a lot of people who bought lower cost policies in the early 90s. I would be very cautious and consider alternative options to cover running out of money. Maybe single pay annuities. Yes there will be less for your estate, but you will have monthly funds for life. You can also, all be it expensive, but unlimited LTC policies.

Gordon
Atlanta
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

U.S. Stable, Europe Stalling
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement