UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Haise Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 766  
Subject: The Science of Holiday Sales Date: 12/30/2005 12:27 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
From Dayana Yochim's article at http://www.fool.com/News/mft/2005/mft05122909.htm :

If you haven't already been assaulted by year-end, "December blowout bonanza," "you won't believe these prices" marketing materials, just wait. Resistance is futile.

The personally resonated with me since earlier tonight I was hanging out with some friends looking through this week's Bass Pro Shops newspaper insert. A store just opened across the river from Louisville a few months ago and a few of us were talking about driving up one day to check it out. Since I'm into outdoors stuff and wasting time looking at stuff I can't afford, I was totally up for going. Of course, I wouldn't be spending any money (and I said that out loud, although mostly to myself).

Meanwhile, I'm flipping through this insert and not even stopping to pay close attention to anything that's in there. Turning over to the back page they have printed in large, black, bold letters: "NEW YEARS SALE! 30-50% OFF STOREWIDE!" No kidding, the next words out of my mouth, not more than ten seconds after saying I didn't want to spend money...

"Dude, how long's this sale going on?!"

Fortunately, I caught the error of my ways and got a nice laugh out of it. But it's interesting how our minds can be so easily influenced in the spur of the moment. I got a little freaked out and I'm a little scared to go inside that store. Is it even possible to leave without buying something? Has anyone ever done that before? :)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement