Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
The second reason is that your daughter can carry the capital loss forward until such time as she has sufficient income or capital gains to use it against. The only way to establish the capital loss carryforward is to file the original return.
This is very important. Carry it forward, until the future when whe might have some capital gains to offset. Eventually, she probably will, maybe when she's 25, who knows....

cat (who's kid "lost" $1400 last year doing nothing...)
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.