UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 61164  
Subject: The Secret of Happiness Date: 2/17/2008 11:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Accoring to one study; low expectations.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/02/14/60minutes/main3833797.shtml

CBS) Happiness is that quirky, elusive emotion that the Declaration of Independence maintains we have every right to pursue. And we do pursue it: we are suckers for an endless stream of self-help books that promise a carefree existence for a mere $24.95; and television hucksters of every kind claim they have the key to Nirvana. So the happiness business, at least, is one big smiley face.

As for the rest of us, the main scientific survey of international happiness carried out by Leicester University in England ranks the U.S. a distant 23rd, well behind Canada and Costa Rica. But you'll be pleased to know we beat Iraq and Pakistan.

And the winner, once again as correspondent Morley Safer reports, is Denmark.

Over the past 30 years, in survey after survey, this nation of five and a half million people, the land that produced Hans Christian Andersen, the people who consume herring by the ton, consistently beat the rest of the world in the happiness stakes. It's hard to figure: the weather is only so-so, they are heavy drinkers and smokers, their neighbors, the Norwegians, are richer, and their other neighbors, the Swedes, are healthier.

<snip>

That's a question that also intrigued Professor Kaare Christensen at the University of Southern Denmark.

"If you ask people on the street where they think the happiest country in the world, they'll say, you know, like, tropical islands and nice places, like Italy or Spain. Places with nice weather and good food. But in Europe, they're actually the most unhappy people," Dr. Christensen explains.

So Christensen and a team of researchers tried to discover just why Denmark finds itself on top of the happiness heap.

"We made fun of it by suggesting it could be because blondes have more fun. But then we could prove that the Swedes have more blondes than the Danes, and they were not as happy. So we tested different hypotheses," Christensen says.

After careful study, Christensen thinks he isolated the key to Danish anti-depression. "What we basically figured out that although the Danes were very happy with their life, when we looked at their expectations they were pretty modest," he says.

By having low expectations, one is rarely disappointed.

</snip>

intercst
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: malaoshi Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11535 of 61164
Subject: Re: The Secret of Happiness Date: 2/18/2008 12:01 AM
Recommendations: 1
Saw it too, and DH and I spent quite a bit of time trying to define happiness.

The Danish younger people as represented on the TV program seemed to believe that relationships, family, time to savor the small pleasures of life etc lead to happiness....and one guy ( on paternity leave) implied that perhaps the Americans should stop trying to follow the American Dream..( materialism understood?) .it isn't necessarily the answer to "happiness".

Sounds trite as I tell it, and certainly nothing new, yet left us interesting things to discuss within the family. One point we raised was it is always the malcontents or people dissatisfied with something that end up making the next step forward.So "unhappiness" can sometimes bring great progress.

Ah well....off to be "happy" with DH.

'Night all.

Big Momma.

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11537 of 61164
Subject: Re: The Secret of Happiness Date: 2/18/2008 12:17 AM
Recommendations: 0
Accoring to one study; low expectations.

That was a fun segment, as was the one about the Venezuelan maestro, whom I'd read about before.

I've been practicing this for some time, and it really does improve the mood. It saved me from throttling my brother when he wasn't doing what I thought he should in helping to care for my parents. I apply it in financial projections so that all surprises are happy ones.

Phil

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11546 of 61164
Subject: Re: The Secret of Happiness Date: 2/18/2008 12:16 PM
Recommendations: 2
I'm being truthful here. Getting laid, lots of sex, makes me happy. It's that simple for me. I've noticed those times in my life when I'm the most sexually satisfied is when I'm the most happy.

Art

Author: joseph714 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11548 of 61164
Subject: Re: The Secret of Happiness Date: 2/18/2008 12:34 PM
Those are simply a result of endorphins, Art.

You knew that right?

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11551 of 61164
Subject: Re: The Secret of Happiness Date: 2/18/2008 1:08 PM
Those are simply a result of endorphins, Art.

You knew that right? - Joeseph

---------------------------------

Actually I hadn't thought about it, but it makes sense. It's all just chemicals anyway when you get right down to it. What is the brain anyway other than a great big shimmering globe of chemicals?

So if that's what it is, I'll take it.

Simon & Garfunkel - Feelin' Groovy

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xdRTI7FYqUc&feature=related

"La da da da da feelin groovy"

Art, "but not Garfunkel"

Author: amuseing Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11552 of 61164
Subject: Re: The Secret of Happiness Date: 2/18/2008 1:41 PM
Hi Intercst,

The study you shared is interesting and makes sense..... but it's sorta depressing.....

Last night a friend insisted I watch Extreme Makeover Home edition with her. It was about
a father and son who have broken past expectations and inspired many. The son's name is
Patrick Henry Hughes and he was born blind and with weak and contracted arms and legs.
Despite that he is an accomplished musician and member of the Louisville marhing band
( with his dad's assistence).

The show catalyzed a discussion between myself, my friend, her husband and two teenage boys about happiness and fulfillment. The conclusion drawn was different from your study..... The 19 yr.old said maybe happiness comes from knowing you put your heart into whatever comes into your life that is importnat to you. So.... not having high or low expectations but knowing you honored your heart and did your best.

Here are some youtube links to Patrick's story...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IohdtoLjoU0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmXWVGR0zpk&feature=related

V.

Author: buzman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11570 of 61164
Subject: Re: The Secret of Happiness Date: 2/19/2008 10:29 AM
Recommendations: 1
>>>>Getting laid, lots of sex, makes me happy<<<<

Amen to that...

Only problem my wife and I have a different defintions of "lots of sex".

buzman

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11575 of 61164
Subject: Re: The Secret of Happiness Date: 2/19/2008 11:55 AM
Amen to that...

Only problem my wife and I have a different defintions of "lots of sex".

buzman

--------------------

Reminds me of when my buddy Dave and I were trout fishing together one time. Dave was a newly married young guy. Hadn't been married too long. He asked me, "Art, does your wife ever initiate sex?" I had to honestly answer him, "no, not really." The few times when it appeared that she did, there was an ulterior motive, which was to get it out of the way so I wouldn't be bothering her later on.

So I asked her why it is that very few married women initiate sex. She said they don't have to because they know their husbands will. Which reminds me of an online article that I recently read. It said that most men have an international airport in their brains when it comes to sex, and most women have just a small commuter airport in their brains, so it's like trying to land a super jumbo jet at a commuter airport. There's bound to be problems.

Art

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11590 of 61164
Subject: Re: The Secret of Happiness Date: 2/20/2008 12:04 AM
The secret to happiness . . . according to one study; low expectations.

Works for me.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement