No. of Recommendations: 1
After a delightful two weeks of vacation and being totally disconnected from phones, computers, and the financial world, I went back to work yesterday, running my bond scans, which turned up nothing worth a further look. So I assumed that today would be the same. Predictably, I was wrong, and a new holding is now in my account, which suggests this lesson:“If you don’t have a line in the water, you’re not going to catch fish.” The opportunities for real returns (after taxes and inflation) aren’t many in today's bond market. But a few are still there are if you go looking for them. And because conditions and opportunities are constantly changing, the shopping really does have to be done daily, which doesn't mean that a lot of time is required, especially once a searching plan has been created.

So that's the key. You've gotta know what you're looking for and what prices you're willing to pay, which isn't much different than fishing a small creek. Two casts to a feeding lane and then move to the next one, so you cover the water. The fish are there, or they aren't. Bond shopping is the same. Take at quick look at the action in the various credit tranches. If something seems attractive, dig deeper. Otherwise, you're done until tomorrow. But there will always be a tomorrow for you if you're trying to build (and then maintain) a fixed-income portfolio. Prices might be better, or they might be worse. But they need to be looked at every day, or else you're not covering the water, and you're going to miss a lot of fish that coulda/shoulda been caught.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement