UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (62) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1951567  
Subject: Re: Wait! ... You mean??? Date: 3/4/2013 9:40 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
the Simpson Bowles report

The problem with the Simpson-Bowles report is that it represents the thinking of conservatives and moderates, but not progressives. They lost me with their plans for Social Security. Elders, one of the few groups who cannot do much to improve their financial situation, do not deserve a severe cut in income.

Seniors on average don't have much savings to invest and don't invest what they have all that well anyway.

Over their working lives, average seniors earned median income and therefore receive significantly less Social Security than professionals like you or my husband, for example. Do we really need to be cutting a $1230/month income--for people who, in most cases, can't go back to work?

The majority of seniors spend their entire monthly income, helping support our economy. The recession cut my mother's income, and inflation in things seniors tend to spend on did a number on it as well. She now can afford to get her hair and nails done half as often, impacting her hairdresser, nail lady, hair-wash & sweep-up lady, and salon owner, who in turn negatively impact other businesses as well as their families. Mom now eats lunch out less than half as often, affecting restaurants, waitresses, busboys, and so on. She doesn't eat dinner out at all any more, but I guess restaurants' losses are Lean Cuisine's gains--.I shudder to think what will happen if she needs to cut back even further because of implementing S-B or something like it as well as investment losses and/or increase in income taxes on lower middle class incomes--cutting her modest income (half SS, half IRA) even further.

Not to mention that many people stop working due to health problems--and no, mostly not caused by anything they did. Health declines with age. The last thing they need is a further cut in Social Security or a delay in being able to collect--and collect less at that.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (62) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Name of the Game: Tax Avoidance
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement