Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MaestroBelle Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 304  
Subject: Re: Biggest Overall Money-Saving Tip Date: 12/31/2008 11:31 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
The single thing that allowed me to save the most money was living with my mom when I moved back to a high cost of living area (Metro DC), even though I'd been used to living on my own for 10 years. If you have that option with family it should be considered. It's actually not that strange to anyone in a high cost of living area (most of my friends from college who were local to the New York City area moved back home for 5+ years after college to save money). Not only do I have money in the bank, but now that I have my own place again I really appreciate it, plus I appreciate the things I already do have since most of my belonging were in storage for 5 years -- it's almost like they're brand new again.

Second - a large portion of my salary is a annual bonus. Since I don't base any financial plans on this bonus (I even save for my ROTH IRA from base salary) I'm able to put most of it into savings -- I allow myself to spend 10% net. If I change jobs and get a total salary in bimonthly paychecks, I plan to right away put in savings the *extra* amount that I get at this job as a bonus, since I'm used to living without it all year long.

Third, I track my spending. I've been in credit card debt before, and knowing where my money is going helps me stay on goal.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement