No. of Recommendations: 97
The Snopes entry goes on to explain that the picture was not taken on Veteran's Day, but a few months earlier at a wreath-laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknowns and that Obama isn't saluting because the band is playing "Hail to the Chief."

TaoFelix

Now that made me really laugh.

“Hail to the Chief is not to something a salute of hand-over-the-heart is given since it is not an anthem military or civilian.

I know you're the resident Expert on Everything, but how then do you explain the accompanying video, in which when the band starts to play "Hail to the Chief" the officers on stage salute and the civilians place their right hands over their hearts?

‘Hail to the Chief’ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hail_to_the_Chief ) is used as introduction music to the President arriving at a function as a courtesy (it is not required) and is not an occasion in which those in uniform would salute and those in plain dress hold their hands over their hearts.

Ah, so you looked it up on Wikipedia. That really made me laugh.

Department of Defense
INSTRUCTION
Number 1005.4
September 18, 1981
3.2.1. During all renditions of "Hail to the Chief" by military musical organizations, military personnel in uniform, other than band personnel, shall accord it the same honor as they would the rendition of "The Star-Spangled Banner"or "To the Color."

https://www.mfp.usmc.mil/TeamApp/protocol/Topics/20050707150...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement