Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
The starting point for any stock merger is that the merger is fully taxable. It's possible the companies involved arranged for the transaction to be fully or partially tax-free. I'm pretty sure your's isn't fully tax-free, as you received some cash. The cash part is almost always taxable. It's possible that the stock portion is partially tax-free. But you can't seem to find any documentation to prove that.

So until you find something different, you received $19 in cash plus the FMV of .6485 shares of company B for each share of company A. That amount ($19 + FMV) is the sale price to report on your return. (Rats - I've got to learn that new form number - Form 8949???) The cost I hope you know from your other paperwork on the RSU grant.

The cost basis of the new shares (company B) would be the FMV you used for the sale calculation.


PS - You'll have a second sale for .967 share of company B, unless they let you hold fractional shares.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.