Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
The STARTING POINT should be answering the question, "how much money do I need in retirement to live the lifestyle that I want to live?"

I think we all agree that is the basis of retirement planning. But getting it right is not so easy. Young people often use current income adjusted for the cost of future wants.

Fifty year olds with children out of school, married, on their own, etc, can use their actual living costs as a guide--adjusted for anticipated changes in retirement.

But then comes the problem of inflation. That part is tricky.

Young people are best off to shoot for something like 25 yrs gross income, and then develop a regular savings/investing plan to get there.

Then the subject should be revisited from time to time to see how you are doing and update the numbers. The key is adapt, adjust, fine tune.

Your retirement plan is a guide that keeps getting revised at least until the day you retire. It is not cast in concrete.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement