UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 12878  
Subject: Re: Anyone else find it funny... Date: 1/19/2013 8:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The steady increase in mass shootings since the decade 1980 has to be addressed.

But they haven't increased, only the amount of coverage they receive in the media has:
http://reason.com/blog/2012/12/17/are-mass-shootings-becomin...
Don't take this one guy's word for it, click through to the AP story linked there, and to the Northeastern University professor's article, where the graph comes from. Here:
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/rise-mass-killings-impac...
http://boston.com/community/blogs/crime_punishment/2012/08/n...

Lives on average? Maybe. Maybe not. Semantics are too easily tweaked.

Couldn't agree more re: semantics. I'm not wedded to that one measure, of course, it was just an example. But it really should be something that's measurable, shouldn't it? Rather than just enacting something to Be Seen Doing Something?

How about we look at the people who are doing these mass shootings

Hw about we look at the criminals who are getting guns illegally

Sound like great ideas to me, have anything particular in mind, or have read about that you want to share?

Restricting big magazines is a slam dunk idea.

But again, why? To what end? What practical effect should we expect to see from such a restriction? That's what I have yet to hear from anyone putting the idea forward. My quick-and-dirty back-of-the-napkin numbers were the first analysis (if I can call it an "analysis" that I've seen on the subject from either angle. The "no more than 10" restriction was in effect during the fed "assault weapon" ban and it had zero measurable affect on anything.

Based on that one NY paper? That's the only event I'm aware of and Cuomo is on the case. It shouldn't happen again.

Nope, it's happened before. The same paper did it in 2006. It happened in Roanoke, VA in 2007, except that was a list of concealed-carry permit holders. Same thing in Memphis in 2008. Same thing in North Carolina in July of last year. It happened in Philadelphia in October of last year for a subset of concealed-carry permit holders. The Illinois DoJ wanted to do it themselves in 2011 but the State Police refused to go along with it.

JT
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mylan Transitioning from Generics
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement