Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (77) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 440736  
Subject: Re: Women, Listen Up! Date: 1/24/2013 1:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

The story of your neighbor and his husband speaks to the issue of financial literacy. It in no way supports an approach in a marriage where "what's yours is yours and what's mine is mine, and never the twain shall meet." I don't pretend to know all there is to know about everybody else's marriages enough to recommend in all cases the approach that my wife and I have chosen. But then I'm not the one going on a public discussion board and taking that stance.

The only stance I'm taking is that every woman should have her own money. When she does, she cannot be threatened, beaten, tossed aside with no recourse. She has power. A person (male or female) who has no money of their own has no power. To be powerless is a terrible feeling. I know. I've been there. I will never be there again.

I'm very happy for you and your arrangement. I hope you never have a roving eye and dump your wife for a younger woman. But even you must admit that it does happen more often than we like to realize. The divorce rates should tell us that even though we hope it will, our marriages might not last forever. A woman should have a way out. I'm especially concerned for women because traditionally, historically, they do not make as much money as their husbands do. They start off at a disadvantage. And many of them suffer for having no way out.

So good for you that everything is working out wonderfully. I hope that continues for you. I really do.

AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (77) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Brookfield Asset Management
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement