Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: skibum73 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8948  
Subject: The Streak Date: 2/8/2000 10:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Tiger Woods is going to be the best golfer of all time. How can I say this?? Already won 17 tournaments, the last six that he has entered, two majors. This kid could might even pass Sam Snead in the total wins category. Now there is no way that he will win 11 in a row. The competition is too strong and he will falter in at least one round in his next five tournaments... :) Still what he has accomplished this early in hi career is amazing, stunningly so.

When he first came on tour, I had a love/hate relationship when watching him. The golf was great but the constant cursing and club slamming was a little much. I still feel the same way about these two things but now they sort of endear me to the guy. I have no idea what kind of fire burns in this young man. He has the sort of drive to win that a Jordan, Nicklaus, Elway carries. Unbelievable!!

I will be rooting for him to win this weekend....but mark my words the streak held by Byron Nelson will stand. If he beats that I will buy everyone hear a share of Callaway...or maybe the parent company of Titleist....take your pick...:)

Mark
Print the post Back To Top
Author: RussellMoss Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 196 of 8948
Subject: Re: The Streak Date: 2/9/2000 9:01 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I will be rooting for him to win this weekend....but mark my words the streak held by Byron Nelson will stand. If he beats that I will buy everyone hear a share of Callaway...or maybe the parent company of Titleist....take your pick...:)

I'll be rooting twice as hard....I'll take Titleist ;-)

Author: GolfinGoldy One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 197 of 8948
Subject: Re: The Streak Date: 2/9/2000 9:06 AM
It seems hard to believe that he could break the Nelson record. But I would not have believed he could do 6 in today's high profile pressure cooker. He is really unbelievable.

I don't know what he'll do, but I sure enjoy watching, and I sure wouldn't bet a hundred Big Berthas he won't do it.

----GG

Author: NickFury55 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 198 of 8948
Subject: Re: The Streak Date: 2/9/2000 9:36 AM
I'd settle for a sleeve of Taylor Made Energel Pro Distance :-)

Mike

Author: DrJHawk Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 199 of 8948
Subject: Re: The Streak Date: 2/9/2000 9:54 AM
I was ambivelent about "The Streak" this week because although I do like Tiger, Matt Gogel is a fellow Jayhawker. In fact, last summer I followed him during the Nike Tournement in Odessa, TX. I had a chance to talk to him briefly and it turns out we had a few friends on the KU golf team in common.

When he first came on tour, I had a love/hate relationship when watching him. The golf was great but the constant cursing and club slamming was a little much.

Yeah, I got tired of that too! Every time I was playing with these old red necks here in Texas they would use the "N" word and tell racially derogatory jokes with Tiger as the protagonist. It seems to be quieting down in the last year. The last time I heard anything like this was a year after the Master's win when one of the old pros made the fried chicken comment.

I will be rooting for him to win this weekend....but mark my words the streak held by Byron Nelson will stand. If he beats that I will buy everyone hear a share of
Callaway...or maybe the parent company of Titleist....take your pick...:)

Is this a binding agreement? How about Textron? This is the parent company of E-Z-GO, the largest manufacturer of golf and turf carts in the world. I bought a used E-Z-GO last fall. Much superior to the Club Car mostly because Club Car has switched from a 36 to 48 volt system in an attempt to get more speed from the cart. But they are now incompatible with most electrical accessories without an expensive voltage adapter. And some people really love to accessorize there cart. E.g., heaters, lights, air conditioning, stereo systems, cellular phones. The list can go on ad nuseum. Almost anything you can put in a car, can go in a golf cart.

Rock Chalk, y'all,

Dr. J. Hawk

p.s.
Weather Update: We are expecting upper 70's to lower 80's today. Gosh, I sound just like the L.A. weatherman I used to listen to when I lived out there. Rain is in the forecast, so I better get out there today.

Author: GabbyG Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 200 of 8948
Subject: Re: The Streak Date: 2/9/2000 10:00 AM
Yes, Tiger Woods is fun to watch. As was Michael Jordan. Both professionals adored the game they played. They loved working on their game, maybe more so than playing it.

There is no doubt that both Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan are very special athletes and very special people.

I have debating with my wife recently about this "gift," that you so often hear thrown around. And now I will raise the question to you guys.

Is the "gift" the physical ability to play their chosen game?

Or is the "gift" the mental ability to focus all energy, time, and resouces in pursuit of perfection in their chosen game.

I have read autobiographies on both Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan (I was in junior high school in the Chapel Hill area when Michael Jordan was at UNC-CH) and both athletes are portrayed as perfectionists at their craft.

I am certain that the correct answer is some combination of both physical and mental ability. But it is more enpowering to think that if you work hard enough, smart enough, and long enough at anything then you can reach that level.

But damn, those guys are good!

Gary

Author: GolfinGoldy One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 201 of 8948
Subject: Re: The Streak Date: 2/9/2000 11:25 AM
I think that people who make it to the top, especially in sports, have both gifts.

I could practice with Butch Harmon till the cows come home, and I'd still be so-so. I have the sense of rythm that Steve Martin showed in "The Jerk."

But given that, the concentration, dedication, and mental toughness are also critical. Inate or learned... I wish I knew.

MJ and TW are tops. What will make Tiger one of the "greats" will be if he can maintain his desire over a number of years, like Nicklaus and Palmer.

----GG (Who is stuck in Boston and bummed by people going out to play golf today.)

Author: TMFBogey Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 203 of 8948
Subject: Re: The Streak Date: 2/14/2000 1:05 AM
Well, it was pretty darn exciting to watch, especially after Phil doubled 11 and Tiger and he were tied for a short time. I thought for certain that he would win. But, he started snappin' it and yanking everything left. Seems like he overcompensated when he slammed that ball way right on 17. Too bad he couldn't do it. Tough to beat anyone who shoots 18-under though :)

By the way, someone mentioned that Tiger has 2 majors. For the record books, he actually has 5 when you count all 3 amateur championships.

Best,

Bogey

Author: skibum73 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 204 of 8948
Subject: Re: The Streak Date: 2/14/2000 1:57 PM
Bogey,

If you count Amateur Championships as majors would you not agree that Bobby Jones was the best golfer ever? Here is a man who won tournaments with only practicing when he felt like it. He would play in the summertime and then take six months off. I have often wondered how he could do this. That is truly natural talent. One of my favorite images is of Jones dicussing how he controlled his swing. He showed the cameras how he could give 80%, then 90% then 100% of his power. He even knew how far the ball would fly with each swing and club. This was well before the equipment was tested by fancy machines and calibrated for swing speed and the like. I just think that if he were able to play today he would wax everyone out there hands down!!!!

Tiger played a great tournament just had a rough go of it the last round (68 on an off day is commendable). Phil grew up on that course and it was only fitting that he won. Confidence comes from playing a course day in and day out as a child. You can draw from the many shots that you have hit in the past. It was a great tournament to watch and the drama was great.

The CBS announcers are getting way out of hand...does every amount of commentary have to be a witty one-liner. Feherty and McCord are getting way out of hand and someone should put a muzzle on the both of them for a few weeks. Sometimes I think they have a contest going to see how many different ways they can say that Tiger hits it a "long ways". Am I the only one who finds it unfunny and redundant. Enough venting...time to hit some balls,

Mark

Author: TMFBogey Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 206 of 8948
Subject: Re: The Streak Date: 2/15/2000 12:06 AM
If you count Amateur Championships as majors would you not agree that Bobby Jones was the best golfer ever?

Mark,

When I look at guys like Bobby Jones, Sam Snead, Jack Nicklaus, Tiger Woods, I find myself really not wanting to declare any one of them the best ever. To me, it doesn't matter. They all came from different eras (except Snead and Jones) and all faced different levels of competition.

I remember watching Jack charge on the back nine of Augusta to win in 86 and I think it was one of the most exciting things I can ever remember seeing.

Tiger is just so much fun to watch. And, at least from how it seems, he's handling himself like a gentleman. I know he's close to MJ and I hope that he's taken some queues from Michael on how to deal with fame and success. Quietly, respectfully, and let all of your talking happen on the course.

When all is said and done, I hope we can look back at Tiger's career and say that he did the most good with his success.

Best,

Bogey

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement