Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: stockmover Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Re: My back hurts- Rant Date: 10/2/2009 12:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
The system is broken and I don't know of a way to fix it, other than stopping EIC.

Hi Donna

I read your post with great interest. My DW has worked for state government for over 20 years in the department which administers food stamps, cash assistance, medical assistance etc. While she is well aware(she is not naive) of fraud in all government programs ... at all levels, she also knows there are many folks who are truly in need of EIC and other government provided benefits. So as I see it ... you have the option to directly report these individuals to the IRS who are fraudulently qualifying for these benefits. I know this is not always an easy task especially if your temporary employer (J-H) condones this fraud to increase it's bottom line. In fact, it probably would lead to your termination ... but it may very well put a very small dent in these fraudulent tax filings. It may also give you a sense of pride in trying to eliminate welfare program abuse. But only you alone can make that call Donna. It's a tough one.

Over the years I myself have been pondering all the horrendous abuse of government programs from food stamps to Medicare/Medicaid etc and I came up with something I believe just may work ... not a 100% of course but at least a start.
I would like to see the General Accounting Office in conjunction with the Inspector Generals Office hire a large task force of well qualified accountants/auditors who would independently report to an Obama Cabinet member (maybe even a new Cabinet Position) and be assigned to audit "high risk" government programs, which is to say, the ones which have the highest exposure to fraud and abuse. Each accountant auditor would be paid a base salary of $50,000/year .... but here is the kicker ... they would ALSO receive an incentive of 10% of the savings they could save the Feds with the implementation of new Policies & Procedures along with Legislative action to reduce if not eliminate the loopholes and abuse within the government programs.
I know that calculating the PROJECTED and ACTUAL savings may very well be problematic but hey ... it's a start. Also, I believe the 10% incentive would sure as hell help to insulate these employees from bribery and corruption because they would know the $$$$$$ they can earn via this incentive.
I know some of you Fools might say this is not the board to post this, but I was just giving my "rant" in response to Donna's post.
Any thoughts on my proposals?
Thanks for listening Fools.

~TG~
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement