UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76419  
Subject: Re: Help with TD Ameritrade Date: 3/27/2007 8:53 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The TD Ameritrade have GREAT customer service. Actually, I called when they were still TD Waterhouse.

You must be using a different office than I am because I've had nothing but problems with them. First, I don't care at all for their GUI interface. It's cumbersome, and it doesn't give me the data I would like such as how much interest is being paid on their Money Market accounts. To find that out, I have to call Customer Service.

Second, I have found the service to be almost universally sub-par. I have a couple of accounts there now, and am moving the big one sometime in May. I had started to move it last year, but I got talked into staying with them agreeing to pay a bonus to keep the account, so I will collect the 2nd half of the bonus in April. However, once I decided to keep the account there, they neglected to move the money out of cash and back into the money market. I had to call and have that done, and they had to credit the interest for the 2 months it took me to figure out that the money wasn't actually in the money market account. This should have been automatic as it was them who moved it out of the money market to do the transfer that was then stopped.

Also, they have tiers of money market accounts, and unless you call and request it, you don't get put into the higher tier account with the better interest, but note that you can't easily find out what the interest rate is that is being paid on the various money market accounts, so it's almost impossible to figure out if you're getting a good rate.

Then there's the fact that I can electronically transfer money into the account, but cannot electronically transfer money out. Fine, I need to write checks, but when they moved the money from one money market to another, the account number changed, so my starter checks were no longer good. They said I needed to get checks, so I asked for the basic starter checks. They sent me those plus they ordered an additional box of checks that I didn't want - I've been using those starter checks for years, so moving money out is not something I do frequently. They did credit me for the amount for the checks I didn't want, but it's the process of having to call for everything and anything that is making me crazy.

This account will be moving to E-trade once I've gotten the rest of the bonus. I figure if I'm going to be having this much pain from them, I can wait to get the bonus.

I sure hope your experiences with them have been better than mine as mine have been universally bad.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement