UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 463365  
Subject: Re: From The No D'uh Department, Bailout Won't W Date: 10/5/2008 1:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
The Treasury Department is authorized to "guarantee" home mortgages, essentially becoming a kind of co-signer, to reduce the number of foreclosures. If the home owner stops paying his or her mortgage, taxpayers would be on the hook. The Treasury Department can also eliminate a "reasonable" amount of a home owner's mortgage debt, under section 109 of the new law, which would likely delay the process of house prices falling.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10057618-38.html?tag=nl.e4......

Sounds to me like the bill might be able to slow the decline of home prices. And I bet there's more where this bill came from.

Anything that delays the decline of house prices will only make things worse. (But a bit later, which is important to politicians.)

Nothing can stop the decline. Except inflation, and that can only stop the nominal decline - not the real decline.

Given that the government is determined to interfere (I'm opposed), a rational approach would be to protect mortgage lenders from some percentage (but not 100%) of their losses on short sales and foreclosure sales related to mortgages issued prior to enactment of the interference. But even there, to avoid manipulation, we need some restrictions. The protection should only apply to short/foreclosure sales at a price reflective of a NORMAL relationship, for the area, between rental and purchase prices. As it happens, the average of that relationship from 1990 to 2000 is a good approximation of the long-term average.

Help for the borrowers? That any mortgage this guarantee is applied to becomes non-recourse: after the foreclosure or short sale, the borrower owes nothing more on it.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement