UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 20733  
Subject: The TSA at work Date: 10/2/2012 2:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Convicted TSA Agent: Stealing From Passenger Bags Is "Very" Common

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2012/09/29/pythias_br...

A former TSA agent who spent three years in jail for stealing from passenger luggage told ABC News that the practice "was very commonplace." Pythias Brown, who worked at Newark International Airport, said he stole more than $800,000 worth of goods from luggage and security checkpoints. He was finally caught when he tried to sell a stolen CNN camera on eBay but forgot to take off all the stickers that tied the camera to the news network.

"It became so easy, I got complacent," Brown said. Almost 400 TSA officers have been fired for stealing from passengers over the past decade.

Brown says he was never asked about suspicious behavior, including a time when he walked out of a security checkpoint with a Nintendo Wii in his hands. Now he says he wants passengers to be aware of the risk when they fly. And don't think those fancy TSA locks will be of much help. Brown insists TSA employees have long figured out how to pick them without being detected.

Another reason not to check bags.

--fleg
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18944 of 20733
Subject: Re: The TSA at work Date: 10/2/2012 5:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Fortunately, between my laptop case and a carry-on bag, I don't think I will ever check another bag.

Thanks, Fleg.

Donna

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18945 of 20733
Subject: Re: The TSA at work Date: 10/2/2012 6:04 PM
Recommendations: 1
I thought it said that the agent also stole from TSA checkpoints. That makes me think that carry-ons are at least susceptible to theft, though it may not be as easy.

My husband and I had a good method worked out until we discovered that SAT was using the scanner machines, which slows the line considerably. We would unload all of our stuff. I would hang back while he went through security. Plan was to allow a few people to go in front of me and then I would send our things through. But this last time, someone's laptop disappeared on our line** so everything stopped. Line got more and more crowded, and people were backed up, and our stuff got pushed through by an agent well before hubby could get through security. That left our things, plus others', just sitting out available for pickup by anyone.

Chili

**Note: the laptop was not found while we were in the area

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18946 of 20733
Subject: Re: The TSA at work Date: 10/2/2012 6:13 PM
Recommendations: 0
That's how I read it also. So I try to be vigilant at the scanners too.

Our check-ins wouldn't be interesting to would-be thieves. Clothes. Toiletries. Are they really hard-up for toothpaste? They want my Kirkland underwear?

The valuable stuff I carry (cameras, laptops, cash/credit cards, etc).

I try to do the same as you...make sure someone is through the detectors before the stuff goes on the belt. But, as you say, if something holds up the line it doesn't always work out that way.

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18949 of 20733
Subject: Re: The TSA at work Date: 10/2/2012 7:50 PM
Recommendations: 3
My husband and I had a good method worked out until we discovered that SAT was using the scanner machines, which slows the line considerably. We would unload all of our stuff. I would hang back while he went through security. Plan was to allow a few people to go in front of me and then I would send our things through. But this last time, someone's laptop disappeared on our line** so everything stopped. Line got more and more crowded, and people were backed up, and our stuff got pushed through by an agent well before hubby could get through security. That left our things, plus others', just sitting out available for pickup by anyone.

Heh, I just stand there in front of the scanner like an ahole until my stuff goes through.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement