Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
The U. S. passport card is not valid for air travel." Does this mean that I cannot use it for identification when I go through security on on a flight? I am surprised by this since the TSA's website says that "Acceptable IDs include: ... the U.S. passport card". So I will assume that it is acceptable for flights...

prime, did you perhaps miss a word in the letter?
The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

See also:\\

Passport Card FAQ
...The card provides a less expensive, smaller, and convenient alternative to the passport book for those who travel frequently to these destinations by land or by sea....

...The passport card was designed for the specific needs of northern and southern U.S. border communities with residents that cross the border frequently by land. The passport book is the only document approved for international travel by air.

The passport card can also be used for ID on domestic flights, in lieu of a driver's license.
...The TSA has announced that it will honor the card, as identity, at security checkpoints at airports. It can also be used within the United States for air travel and to enter federal buildings. This could be an option for people who are settled in the United States possessing driver's licenses that aren't compliant...

It is possible, knowing TSA-training (or lack thereof) that there might be more glitches, or slowdowns, with it for ID on domestic flights though, since they are more acclimated to dealing with driver's licenses. But that's just a supposition. They do list it as acceptable on their website.
Adult passengers (18 and over) are required to show a U.S. federal or state-issued photo ID in order to be allowed to go through the checkpoint and onto their flight.

Acceptable IDs include:

U.S. passport
U.S. passport card
DHS "Trusted Traveler" cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
U.S. Military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DOD civilians)
Permanent Resident Card
Border Crossing Card
DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
Drivers Licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
A Native American Tribal Photo ID
An airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)
A foreign government-issued passport
Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) card
Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)

Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.