UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59210  
Subject: Re: How airline pilot unions operate Date: 11/12/2012 8:54 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The unions in lots of industries try the same thing.

Steel workers....

Electrical workers union

Plumbers

In NYC, all the unions figure they should have 125% of the profits on the work they do. Only having an even bigger mob type boss to decide who gets what share of the pie works in the end. Someone on 'the contract' decides who gets what and how badly the city/feds will be screwed when they bid the contract.

The Bacon-Davis Act required by the gov't on all construction projects is similar. It demands that taxpayers pay the HIGHEST LOCAL 'prevailing' UNION wage on projects funded by the taxpayer - like all those 'infrastructure' projects. Built at highest cost. ANd that could mean your rural project was based upon city wages 200 miles away.

Yep......

If you were an investor and bought into airlines 100 years ago when aviation was started , you would have done equally well taking 20% of your money and burning it each year for the last 100 years.

----

The teachers union deals aren't much different although the pay scale is likely only 3:1 or 5:1. By the time you add in 5% a year for 'seniority', and those kickers for 'advanced degrees' (usually useless especially for K-10 and likely nearly all of 'high school')......really, just how does a PhD in French or German or SPanish teach any better than a BA degree? Or geography? or algebra? But taxpayers get socked.

The only time I worked at places with 'unions' that would have affected me was two summer jobs.....and I didn't have to join the union for that.

t.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Name of the Game: Tax Avoidance
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement