Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (53) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: klinedanner Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 196403  
Subject: The Value of Discussion Date: 11/28/2000 12:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 12
There are two types of people in this world: those who divide people into two groups and those who don't. I am one of the latter. Many "two group" lines can be drawn between the posters on this board. For example: those who've been here a while and the relative newbies, conservatives and liberals, inerrantists and those who believe the Bible contains errors, etc.

A separate and distinct additional line can be drawn between the "veterans" of this board and the "newbies": some believe that topics which have been previously argued into the ground should now be avoided, while those of us who haven't been here so long are eager to discuss controversial topics ourselves. I've seen some people criticized for bringing up subjects that have been previously discussed. Another comment i've seen is that nothing is gained from these "rehashings" because no one changes their point of view. Tempers flare, feelings get hurt, no one benefits.

I feel compelled to state my vehement disagreement with the above-mentioned sentiment; something is always gained. If the only valid threads were the ones where people's minds were changed by opposing arguments, then this board might as well not even exist. Chances are pretty low that views and beliefs are going to be altered here. We all cling far too tightly to them. But people benefit from these discussions. Some simply become aware of differing points of view they didn't even know existed. Some come to better understand a point of view there were previously aware of but had little exposure to. Some may be led to realize that the people holding the opposing view point are not as "evil" and "godless" as they may have thought. Some may just learn to have a calm, intelligent debate with another person. And all of these potential benefits are magnified by participating in the debate, rather than merely reading an old thread.

None of these potential benefits should be discounted. I apologize to the veterans of this board who do not want to see the same topics argued over and over. I do not blame you. But please do not make others feel bad for bringing up these controversial topics. Please allow intelligent discussions to continue unharrassed. Someone will benefit.

Thanks,

Danner
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (53) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

IBM: Is Buffett Wrong, or Brilliant?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement