UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: DJWar Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 88  
Subject: The Vanishing Date: 3/19/2005 1:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
What an ending. This one really hits you right in the gut. One of the more unsettling endings I've ever seen.

From imdb

Rex and Saskia are on holiday, a young couple in love. They stop at a busy service station and Saskia disappears. Rex dedicates the next three years trying to find her. Then he receives some postcards from her abductor, who promises to reveal what has happened to Saskia. The abductor, Raymond Lemorne, is a chilling character to whom Rex is drawn by his intense desire to learn the truth behind his lovers disappearance. The truth is more sinister than he dared imagine.

Rex is one of the cinema's true dumbasses. In the first five minutes you hate him because he leaves his girl alone in a dark tunnel. He gets more sympathetic, but he starts as a real jerk.

<SPOILER>

I guess that makes the ending more bearable, as he's buried alive just like his girl friend. Only a total dumbass would take the sleeping pill anyway. You know the guy's a killer, you know that. Why not just kill the bastard and let the cops find her?

AAAAAAAAAAARGH
Print the post Back To Top
Author: notablelaggard Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69 of 88
Subject: Re: The Vanishing Date: 9/2/2005 12:58 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

The original VANISHING is a GREAT film.

Compared to it .. hollywoods remake is a sham.

nl

Author: laGuerreEstMal Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71 of 88
Subject: Re: The Vanishing Date: 9/2/2005 11:19 AM
In the remake doesn't his girlfriend save him or something? I quit watching after that, it was such a shame.

Author: notablelaggard Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72 of 88
Subject: Re: The Vanishing Date: 9/2/2005 4:17 PM
In the remake doesn't his girlfriend save him or something? I quit watching after that, it was such a shame.

OMG, I hope that you're wrong. That's disgusting.
I loved the original so much .. thought it was SO well done .. that I 'stubbornly refused' to watch the 'hollywood remake'. And, just as with that incredibly wonderful German movie about angels living amongst people in Berlin - (can't recall it's NAME right now!!!) - from everything I later heard, refusing to see the remake was a good choice.

nl
[what the eff is that german one???]

Author: jmcjls Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73 of 88
Subject: Re: The Vanishing Date: 9/5/2005 5:15 AM
And, just as with that incredibly wonderful German movie about angels living amongst people in Berlin - (can't recall it's NAME right now!!!) - from everything I later heard, refusing to see the remake was a good choice.

Wings of Desire? (or Der Himmel über Berlin)

jmc

Author: jmcjls Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 74 of 88
Subject: Re: The Vanishing Date: 9/5/2005 1:45 PM

Sorry, I wasn't clearer. First is English title, second is same film w/ original German title.

jmc

Author: notablelaggard Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75 of 88
Subject: Re: The Vanishing Date: 9/9/2005 4:48 PM
jmc

that's it, of course. great flick.

thanks

nl

Author: notablelaggard Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 76 of 88
Subject: Re: The Vanishing Date: 9/9/2005 4:50 PM

they did a hollywood remake of it. sounded like S.

I've asked people in casual conversation if they've seen Wings of Desire ...
and they've said, "No .. but I saw [insert cheap hollywood film name here]"
that's when i realized the true evil of hollywood ... "no .. I didn't see a brilliantly conceived and rendered classic ... but hey ... I saw it in it's hollywood remake .. same film, eh?"

right.

nl

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement