Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: SRHCB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 88  
Subject: The Vinnie & Mikey Show? Date: 6/8/2004 4:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I only caught the first half hour of this episode? I like the premise though. I hope vinnie and MIkey design better than they golf?

SB (was there a girl working in the background of the shop?)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: kathcolo Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 66 of 88
Subject: Re: The Vinnie & Mikey Show? Date: 6/8/2004 6:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
This was the first new episode I have watched in awhile. It seemed way more scripted then in the shows beginnings. And I would tolerate Sr. far better than Kevin as the hard@ss. It just doesn't work for me to see Kevin throw a tantrum about Mikey and Vinnie not working.

Kath
still likes the show

Author: SRHCB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67 of 88
Subject: Re: The Vinnie & Mikey Show? Date: 6/9/2004 10:52 AM
RE: Kath: "still likes the show"

I'm sorry I missed the second part of the show. I'll have to catch it on the repeat.

I was interested in seeing how a new manager would work out. Besides having had personnal experience in a family business setting, which I touched upon in a previous post to this board:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=20366843

I also worked at a business that experienced the same sort of phenomenal growth OC has undergone. (I wrote some stories about that on another TMF Board) The owners/managers tend to try and handle everything they were previously responsible for plus taking on all the demands of the fast growing business. At some point they have to delegate some authority, and it's not something everyone can learn to do.

In this episode, both Paul Sr and Jr had to be gone for a week(?), and so it was a good way to introduce a new "character". Paul Sr would not be an easy guy to work under, and I'd be interested in knowing how they handled the hiring process. My guess is that Kevin is either transplanted from Paul Sr's metal business, or from a compnay he previously did business with.

Although I doubt it was even an afterthought to the show's producers, American Chopper is turning into a pretty good show about running a small business.

SB (likes small buisness)

Author: kathcolo Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 68 of 88
Subject: Re: The Vinnie & Mikey Show? Date: 6/9/2004 11:44 AM
Don't hold me to it but, I think Kevin is a cousin? He looks alot like Jr.

Kath

Author: SRHCB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69 of 88
Subject: Re: The Vinnie & Mikey Show? Date: 6/9/2004 12:17 PM
RE: Kath: "I think Kevin is a cousin?"

Maybe so. I thought I heard something about a relative during the show's intro. It would make sense too.

SB (for better and worse)

Author: moon18 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70 of 88
Subject: Re: The Vinnie & Mikey Show? Date: 6/9/2004 5:49 PM
I heard Mikey say, "My cousin Kevin.."

I too thought this episode seemed a little more staged than most. Kevin's yelling just doesn't do it for me as far as entertainment. It just seems hokey.

I found it funny also when Paul Jr. said how they had to be out of the shop because OCC was sending them(he and Sr.) down south. Aren't THEY OCC? I took that to mean that the Discovery Channel wanted them to go down south.

It will be interesting to see how they mix Kevin into the show when Sr. is around. I hope Sr's role doesn't diminish as far as the TV end goes.

Scott

Author: SRHCB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71 of 88
Subject: Re: The Vinnie & Mikey Show? Date: 6/16/2004 9:09 AM
RE: Scott: "Paul Jr. said how they had to be out of the shop because OCC was sending them(he and Sr.) down south. Aren't THEY OCC?"

I think most small business owners think of their company as an entity unto itself. It's hard enough to maintain a degree of seperation as it is.

Anyway, I rather enjoyed this episode. There was less emphasis on the bike itself. We got to visit the powder coaters and Justin's shop, and to see Vinnie do a little mechanical work, although now maybe we see why OCC usually just buys its engines complete. In aftermarket applications, bikes or cars, nothing is ever just bolts together.

SB (tell me about it!)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement