Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (66) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121095  
Subject: Re: Tax Deferred Annuity right for me? Date: 4/27/2013 7:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
The way the tax struxture is setup in this country encourges people not to be productive. i.e. To get more services, work less.
This makes no sense.

I understand what he is saying. My brother is the poster child for decreasing his hours to get things like reduced tuition for the private schools his kids went to. And a sister who decided that welfare was the way to go, intentionally choosing to get pregnant (without consulting the guy,) so that she could have an excuse to freeload off the system. After about 20 years of doing this she got tired of being poor and got a nursing degree, but she still games the system with limited hours. Did I mention she has a genius IQ? What a waste. Don't know what they are going to do for retirement.

And DH and I have chosen our own approach by working hard, earning a lot, saving most of it, investing hard, and looking to retire as soon as Youngest gets out of high school, allowing us to move to a much reduced COL. It will be very interesting to see what happens to our expected family contribution to college payments when we quit our day jobs, and focus on having fun. Or we could continue working 12 hour days and pay the $80,000/year in tuition that they expect us to pony up now. Granted the reason colleges cost that much is because all the "aid" out there allows them to do so, so those of us who choose to save and provide for our kids education pay our bill and then some.

Looking forward to no longer bucking the system and take advantage of the perks we get from most of our funds being in retirement accounts. Looking forward to no longer worrying that DH is going to die behind his desk. They say that sitting for long periods of time puts you at risk as much as smoking, and our retirement will be filled with hiking, fishing and kayaking. Looking forward to a 15% tax bracket instead of 33%, with time to actually enjoy a much reduced income.

IP,
front loading all the work and savings, not willing to continue to do so any longer than necessary
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (66) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Future, or What's Left of It
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement