UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Trader101 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75779  
Subject: The Wealthy Barber Date: 12/9/1998 8:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello,

I have read close to 5 books on various methods of investing. Ranging from the simple to the bar/graph to roll the die.

Then I read the book, "The Wealthy Barber". It's a fictional account of 3 persons looking toward their future financial security.

The book discusses the "pay yourself" approach, wills, life insurance, home purchases and a few other important topics.

Now, of the other books I've read; Peter Lynch, Robert Sheards, Matt Ceto's and a few others I feel that The Wealthy Barber has hit the nail on the head. Because it deals specifically with the basics, at least what I perceive the basics to be.

However this book hasn't changed my first step toward financial freedom, it has just confirmed it.

The pay yourself approach is an excellent method. The philosophy is to pay yourself 10% of your earnings and have it automatically invested in either a stock or mutual fund.

I am going to take this method and start with 7% and open a ROTH IRA and have the money invested into a mutual fund.

This is money that I will initially miss, however I'm sure that I can get along without sacrificing much.

My next step will be to purchase a term life insurance policy to protect my family and to take care of their needs.

Any input is welcome.

Thanks,

Tom
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement