UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (60) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: ExplorerDora Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308349  
Subject: Re: Advice Needed Date: 3/4/2003 11:44 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
The weekly allowance is $20 each for my husband and myself. Any clothing, shoes, lunches, or other "wants" must come from this amount.

The AOL is shared by 3 families. One family pays for it for a year and then rotates it. So, in that case, it is really only $7.97 per month.

Cell phone is a one year contract that expires in May. I'll be going to pre-paid at that point.

The car was a bad decision financially. I had the opportunity to purchase a $26,000 for $17,000, so I jumped at it rather than trying to figure out what it would cost me in the long run. Right now, I think I owe more than it's worth, but I'm not sure how I could downgrade to a cheaper car right now (since I may have trouble getting a loan for it).

The gasoline is unfortunately correct. DH and I both have long commutes to work (his is much longer than mine), but he must use his truck for his job. Neither auto is too bad on gas, and they are about the same when compared to each other.

We make no long distance phone calls, and I will be looking to cut costs by cutting all the frills on the bill.

Our electric bill is on a budget billing plan. We have a heat pump that is not very efficient at heating our house, but I don't really feel that the amount saved right now on the bill would justify the cost to change it out.

We do use coupons for our grocery shopping, but only for things that we would be buying anyway. The $80 per week includes all food, household items (such as toilet paper, trash bags, dish detergent, laundry detergent), health and beauty items (such as razors, shampoo, soap), etc.

For my 401K, I have been putting in 6% so that I can get the maximum match of 3%. The 4% profit sharing is awarded no matter what percentage I invest.

What is the general consensus on these questions:

Should I stop contributions to my 401K in order to build and e-fund/pay off debt?

Should I reduce 401k contributions?

Should I stop contributions to dd's 529 account?

The first debt that I plan to work on is MBNA for 2 reasons: ridiculous interest rate, and I just plain hate those guys.

Thanks to everyone for your advice. Keep it coming.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (60) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement