UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (45) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: psuasskicker6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4415  
Subject: Re: The Wire vs. The Sopranos Date: 12/7/2007 1:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
The Wire is the best show ever put on TV. The Shield is my #2 but for different reasons despite both being cop dramas. Shield is more intense. The gritty realism and emotional evokation of Wire is simply unmatched.

I didn't cry for Wallace. I almost did, but I didn't.

The most emotional moment of the show by a mile was the stunning and sad end of season 3. No spoilers here...but I thought it was pretty obvious that was the "cry for" moment you were talking about.

Season 1 was fantastic. After the first episode - much like Carnival - I said "Why would I watch this again?" It was okay but didn't hook me. I kept with it for a little, and by McNulty's 'front and follow' game with his boys I was completely sucked in. Season 2 I thought wasn't as good but still incredibly good overall.

Season 3 I felt at the time was the best season of television ever. The subject matter was simply amazing, and the emotional impact was terrific.

And quite simply it couldn't hold a candle to Season 4, which I didn't think was possible. I am firmly convinced that there has never been and will never be a better or more powerful season of television ever. The emotional involvement with the kids of Season 4 is incredibly deep, and I can't get over it. Such an incredible season of TV.

The show goes through major themes each season. Season 5, which starts Jan 6, will be the final season of the show. Tragic...

Season 1 - The inner workings of the drug trade in Baltimore.
Season 2 - The harbour, union's impact, and how the drug supply works.
Season 3 - The drug legalization question.
Season 4 - The education system, its failings, and how it allows the drug trade access to the kids.
Season 5 - The media.

They had discussed putting together a sixth season dealing with the recent influx of a large hispanic population. But the two writer/producers most responsible for the show (one is a former Baltimore cop, the other a former Baltimore Sun reporter) felt the research they would have to put into it would cause a greater than two year gap between seasons 5 and 6, and didn't want to do that.

And it's true that many of the former players in the drug and gang game play characters on the show. Snoop was a former gang-banger that spent time in juvie. The old Deacon was actually a gang banger who the ex-cop writer busted for murder years back.

- C -
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (45) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement