Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: talksfree Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 47739  
Subject: The Word From IDCC Date: 7/2/2001 12:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 22
I spoke at length with the investor relations director, Janet Point, at IDCC. I found her straightforward and knowledgeable. The following is a summary of what I heard her to say.

IDCC does have licenses with Nokia, Siemens, Panasonic and others. After their settlement with Q in 1996, they have develop new patents on the core CDMA technology. They hold about 200 patents. None of their patents give them exclusive rights to license all of the CDMA technology necessary for WCDMA.

She described CDMA as a bundle of rights, to which several companies have or claim ownership of key acpects - Q, IDCC, Motorola and others. None of the companies have all of the rights necessary to license CDMA for use in the WCDMA technology. Nokia, or others, will have to go to Q for some of the rights, Motorola for some of the rights, and to IDCC for some of the rights. She equated this to the semiconductor industry where many companies cross license among themselves the bundle of rights necessary for producing semiconductor chips.

It is her expectation that all of the holders of the CDMA bundle of rights will reach cross licensing agreements to be able to collectively license the CDMA technology necessary for WCDMA, of which IDCC will be a part.

Interpretation - Janet Point did not say the following, it is solely my interpretation the meaning of what she says.

IDCC sees itself as a player in the WCDMA marketplace, but not "the" player, or even the most important player. Others hold key core CDMA patents, and those players will have to be a part of the picture.

Therefore, under the best scenario for IDCC, they will receive a portion of the royalties, as will Q, Motorola, etc. This means that Q, IDCC and others will all share in the WCDMA marketplace. This also means the Chun's assertion that IDCC will dominant the marketplace to the exclusion of Q is incorrect.

I hope this clarifies the issues for everyone. I have not heard from Q yet, but believe that is is worthwhile stating the "best" possible position for IDCC based upon IDCC's statements, since it negates some of the comments of the IDCC group who has been posting here.

Bob
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

The American Energy Revolution
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement