UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (52) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: benjd25 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25048  
Subject: Re: Science, a faith-based system Date: 11/28/2007 10:26 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
The word has acquired negative baggage through its usage. Examples:

A Christian challenged me to read John with her. I only agreed if she would read an atheist apologetic book - she chose Atheism: The Case Against God by George Smith. I ended up reading John, Luke, and Acts and the George Smith book (I had never read any book in the genre before.) We compared notes throughout. She repeatedly said everything in the Smith book made sense, she could not refute it, and she was a Christian via faith.

http://www.friendlychristian.com/index.php/is-faith-nonsense/
Conveniently, the author states what he means by faith: "The Bible says that faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." He asks "Why is it so hard to believe in God? If he’s really there, why doesn’t he reveal himself to the world? Why does God hide from us? Why does such an important question — Is there a God and does he care about me? — require

so

much

faith?"

Or another author on the same site:
http://www.friendlychristian.com/index.php/promises-shromises/
The author spends several paragraphs expressing doubt about God and Christianity. He then spends one sentence quoting Isaiah 55:9 "For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts." I asked in the comments:

"Why do it ? Why the struggle to maintain certain beliefs when you (apparently) feel there are so many strong reasons to doubt those beliefs ?

What is the motivation to do this ?"

His response:
"Ever since I started trying to live as the bible instructs and putting my faith in Jesus, things have been incredible. I’ve had plenty of struggles along the way, but the benefits of trying to follow Christ have far outweighed the stress of the struggles. Also, things have never gone sour when I’ve lived as the bible instructs. It’s when I try to start steering the ship on my own that I quickly find myself pulling my hair out.

I don’t ever want to go back! Again, I only speak to my own story."

Or this: http://www.friendlychristian.com/index.php/christianity-makes-my-head-hurt/
by the same author.

For beliefs that are based on evidence and logic, there is no reason to say 'I believe based on faith.' You say 'I believe based on (relevant evidences and logic.)' Only when you have insufficient evidence and logic to warrant belief is faith ever brought up. That's why I will bristle when it is stated that I am relying on faith. By common usage and by definition, faith is wishful thinking - a justification for an unjustified belief.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (52) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement