UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFCop Big gold star, 5000 posts Coverage Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 157  
Subject: Re: Graduation Gifts Date: 4/6/2011 9:09 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
TheBreeze,

Sap gloves would be good. Not that I ever used them! ;>

Some police gifts actually might be difficult for the public to come buy, since they might be limited to law enforcement personnel.

A practical gift might be a briefcase. His patrol car will be his mobile office and you end up carrying all kinds of forms and papers in there. But they do get bounced around a lot, even when they're belted in. Some cops choose more of a bookbag style, though my own preference was for the hard-bodied ones.

An extra pair of handcuffs (if you can get 'em); sweat-wicking undershirts, such as those made by Under Armour, are great in the summer time to keep you cooler; and I also preferred the dual athletic sock/knee sock combo. The white athletic sock lower portion that went over your foot was more comfortable and supposedly more hygenic while the upper portion was a black knee sock to meet with typical department dress codes to have black socks exposed.

Not exactly exciting things, but pretty darn practical. However, a bullet resistant (nothing's bullet proof) vest might be a good option, depending on whether his department ultimately provides one or not. but again, they might not be available to the regular public. Moreover, they have to be (or should be) fitted to each individual, so you wouldn't want to go out and buy one off the shelf. The side panels, for example, should fit just so for both comfort and maximum safety. Then there are additional inserts like trauma plates you can buy for added protection. Maybe a gift card for the purchase would be better.

Some cops enjoy personal scanners to listen in when off duty (I tended to be the sort that when I was off duty, I was off duty).

We used to carry a baton called a PR-24, also known as a side-handle baton. A lot of officers also carried an ASP, which is an expandable baton. Mini Mag Lites were also good.

In reality, there's a ton of crap you can end up carrying on your duty rig, some more useful than others. You definitely don't want to come off as Tackleberry from Police Academy, and you don't want to be jingling and tinkling as you're moving around.

One of the popular police supply companies I recall was Galls. But there are a lot of similar supply companies around. Going through their site might suggest some other items.

Good luck. He's going to need it!

Rich
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Ringing the NASDAQ Bell
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement