Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Then the Roth IRA (assuming you qualify) would be perfect for you. Contributions to the Roth IRA are "after tax dollars" but when properly withdrawn are tax-free. Thus if you pay no income tax, and have earned income you will not pay any taxes EVER on the money put into a Roth IRA.

As for puting more money in tax-defered accounts (such as a 401K). It depends on your situation. If it looks like you will have no tax liability for a long time, then it may be to your advantage to keep your funds in taxable accounts. But if you are going to loose the child tax benefits soon, and/or you have a Foolish 401k (or other plan) available, you should look to protecting your money ASAP.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.