Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
There are a lot of Cooper's Hawks around in my area of Maryland.

I have a bush in my front yard that is a home base for a flock of house sparrows. It's a thorny bush and right next to the driveway. I pulled in one day and there was a Cooper's sitting on top of the bush. The sparrows disappeared into the thorny tunnels the bush provides. I was only about six fet away from the Cooper's and he wasn't the least bit concerned. Then he dove straight down into the bush. A short while later he came out the bottom but the sparrows avoided him. He flew up to the top of the bush again but didn't try another attack. After he left the sparrows moved back out to their favorite spots on the ends of the branches.

Also saw Cooper's with a mouse in my backyard. I didn't see the Cooper's catch it but I watched him eat the mouse. Cooper's and Shinnies mainly eat birds but I guess they'll take the odd mouse.

There is a superb hawk watch on the Chesapeake about fifteen minutes from my house. On a good day you might see a hundred Cooper's and Sharpies go by.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement