UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jpkiljan One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 744333  
Subject: Re: Payoff house ??? Date: 3/23/2000 11:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
There are a lot of good posts on this subject and maybe it doesn't need another. One thing should be plain: there are lots of intangibles (like peace of mind) and whether or not to pay off your house loan early is a highly personal decision. Still, that doesn't mean that you should not try to crunch the numbers first.

One thing I did for years on the numbers side was a pretty simple exercise that made my decision (not to pre-pay the loan, in my case) much easier. Other readers might want to try it as well.

Each year after doing my income taxes, and while all the paperwork was still sitting in front of me, I would quickly re-calculate how my taxes, and my net worth, would be different if I had pre-paid my loan at the beginning of the previous year. Of course, I would loose most of my itemized deduction and my taxes would rise because of that. Then, I would figure how much interest (or capital gains, dividends or whatever) I would have lost from the money I would have had to take from my savings/investments to cover the loan payoff. If the payoff amount would have come from selling stock or mutual funds, I'd also deduct the estimated capital gains tax due as a deduction.

Don't worry about the actual payoff amount--it is still your asset either way. It is just as valuable sitting in your house as in your brokerage account.

Then, I'd add back the plusses like the money I would no longer be sending off to the loan company monthly and rough out what the investment return for that year would have been. Try to remember that, for some investments (after-tax like bonds), I'd be paying taxes on the dividends. For other investments (like a Roth IRA), there would be no reductions in my return. You want to estimate your after-tax return, if you can.

Anyway, each year, I had a figure which was what it would have cost me (or saved me) if had paid off the loan in preceding January. All this took about 20 to 25 minutes to do.

In my case, for most years, my net worth would have fallen by thousands each time I did this 'what if?' calculation; however, when I had my loan nearly paid off and I started taking the standard deduction under this scenario, the numbers reversed and it 'paid' slightly to pay off the loan. Then, that changed again to a slight loss when interest rates rose in the most recent upswing--I have an old low-intest house loan.

For years, when I really wanted to have that peace of mind by paying off that house loan, I was able to tell myself I was saving $ X,XXX's each year and doing the right thing by waiting awhile longer. I felt better for it. You might too.

-- JPKiljan
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Smuggling Rice and Garlic
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement