UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 90  
Subject: Re: Just starting high school and in special nee Date: 5/24/2007 9:01 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
There are colleges out there that cater specifically to special needs students, but they're pricey. There's one up in Vermont called Landmark College that looks quite good. Here's a pointer to their website http://www.landmark.edu/index.html

There's another site that has a lot of information on preparing for college for a child with learning disabilities, and here's a pointer to that one http://www.ldonline.org/questions/college

Something that I have as a back-up plan for DS, who has his heart set on Johnson & Wales, is for him to attend a local community college for the first 2 years. My thinking is that if he does that, I can be the one to continue to manage his schoolwork so that he can be better prepared for college later. I also know that kids like my DS mature later, so this may be a good plan for him.

We did the tour at Johnson & Wales, and one of the things they have is a SPED department. It was quite good, and after talking to those folks, I'd be willing to take the chance that DS could be successful there with their help, assuming he gets in. Something I learned from their SPED representative was that his IEP will travel to college with him, and they will work with you to make appropriate adjustments in it for his accommodations, so that is something else for you to consider.

Of course, right now, I'm focusing on getting him out of high school. The math MCAS was Tuesday and Wednesday this week, and I do not have the warm and fuzzies that DS passed it. I did tell him that it's possible he won't pass, and if that happens, he'll just take it again next year.

One step at a time.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

U.S. Stable, Europe Stalling
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement