UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ttm Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 127236  
Subject: Re: Time Shares Date: 10/16/1999 11:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
There are few more idiotic and ultimately embarassing mistakes in life you can make than to think of time shares as investments. They are not in any way shape or form an investment, though they are frequently peddled that way. They are an investment like buying a new car at list price is an investment. The way these are sold is utterly despicable. You're Joe Schmoe, you take your yearly week of vacation in Cabo San Lucas, for example, you're fried out from 51 weeks of work and gaagaa in paradise. They give you an 11 cent breakfast of scrambled eggs & beans with two chips stuck in them (am I right?) and scare you into thinking you won't be able to afford this gorgeousness in two years because hotel rates are going up 15% a year and your wages are only going up 5%. "See, look at this chart we've prepared for you." A classic take-away routine. "You can't have this unless you buy now and provide for your future piece of mind. This opportunity won't last forever, in fact, we're probably going to sell these babies out today or tomorrow". Yeah, right. Own a little piece of paradise and be a big shot. Don't think you'll want to vacation in the same place forever? No problem, join RCI for a fee and you can trade weeks with people anywhere in the world you want for a fee while you pay a fee for the annual maintenance of your glorified hotel room. Please don't allow yourself to be sucked into this type of egregious rip-off.

A typical time share costing $10K+ can typically be bought on the secondary market for $2500 any day of the week and for even less if you find a burnt-out owner who needs cash. Try a grand, and even that's paying too much. There are plenty for sale in any urban newspaper. There's no price, there's no liquidity. I for one don't call that an investment. I call it a scam.

I'm not saying they don't serve a useful purpose or even that some don't derive good and economical use from them. I'm sure there are plenty of folks who happen to take their vacations at exactly the same time every year and are willing to commit to that for 15-20 years. How depressing! But there couldn't possibly be a worse "investment" unless you like losing 50+% before the ink on your credit card slips is dry.

AL:LA
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement