UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (103) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Zafkiel Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 571  
Subject: Re: Religious? Or Not? Date: 10/3/2001 6:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
There are few things worse than a dictionary definition in theology. I admit guilt of this last week. Would you accept that I as a non-theist could look up Christianity in the dictionary than argue with a Christian what their beliefs were?

I am an atheist. I discuss that on the AF board and elsewhere. I suppose you could say I'm part of the "Atheist Movement" and here is how I define the words.

I define my Atheism as meaning without belief. That is a goal state not something I could claim I have attained in my life right now, but I seek to have no belief. For me to "believe" something, for lack of a better word, it needs to be supported by evidence. I fail at this a lot, but I think it is an in intellectually honest position. This is often called "weak" atheism.

"Strong" atheism is not a position I can defend. In it's own way it is just as unreasonable as theism and it is really unnecessary. It is the assertion that there is no God. You'd need to go to someone else for a defense of it.

Agnosticism is not a belief system of its own, it is a statement of whether the existence of God is provable. You can have a Christian agnostic or an non-theist agnostic, both believe that the existence of God is non-provable, one acts like there is a God the other acts as if their is not. There is a lot of gray in there but all someone who is an agnostic says about belief is that the existence of God is not provable.

I am technically an agnostic weak atheist. Generally speaking I just say atheist.

You can say I've redefined words and merged meaning, etc. I don't think I have. I think I've sought to find words that convey meaning. This is not a obfuscation, atheists talking to atheists are not confused by these differences, just as Christians are aware of the denomination differences between themselves, however from the outside the difference is not so apparent.

--Zafkiel
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (103) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Feste Award Winner Announced!
Congrats to the Winner of the 2013 Feste Award!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement