UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: girlbroker One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2247  
Subject: Re: Any suggestions for SRI companies Date: 2/6/1999 1:04 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
There are many companies that are considered 'social'.
But for my clients the first thing we do is determine the social objectives along with their financial objectives. Many clients are general in their criteria, they decide that the 'best of the worst' is ok with them. This is typical for an international portfolio where data on companies is difficult to obtain because foreign companies don't have to say doodah about their businesses. Other clients are more specific and set certain limits on the amount(%) of offending product (nuclear power, assault weapons etc) that can be produced by a company. Some clients have religious considerations.
Then the fun begins! It is time to select the stocks that would perform best given the client's financial objectives and then cross check them on the client's social objectives, taking into consideration the political/environmental/whatever criteria the client wants to support, such as positive employee relations, and those s/he wants to exclude from his/her portfolio, such as child labor.

There are numerous social companies and that brings up
one challenge: weighting the positive and negative aspects of a company, or mutual fund and determining whether it is suitable for the client.

You may want to look at Domini Social Equity Fund.
The Calvert funds have ridiculous fees, even their index fund!!! Don't go there. Parnassus is good socially, but what a roller coaster ride on the financial performance.

If you are interested in some companies I can list a few, but I'll bet you have already discovered many.

Support Socially Responsible Foolish Investing!!!

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement