Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
There are several methods of payment that will keep you from having an underpayment penalty. The method Phil mentioned is just one of those.

There is another method that would meet your objections: the annualized installment method. There, you make estimated tax payments based on your year to date income and deductions through the month end just before the payment due date.

In anticipation of the next question, you can choose the method that provides the lowest required payment. You can even switch between methods mid-year. There are estimated tax calculators that will guide you. Edcosoft, who posts here frequently, publishes the one that I use.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.