No. of Recommendations: 0
There are three approved ways to calculate your substantially equal payments. One is the minimum distribution method. This results in the lowest payout. The other two ways are annuitized assuming an earnings growth rate. (All three use life expectancy). With the annuitized rate you can calculate an annuity factor, and then this applied to your beginning annual balance determines your payout. The earnings growth rate has to be a number that the IRS will approve. (They have approved numbers in the 5-9% range). But if you are invested in the UG5 or any other equities, you may still beat your assumed earnings growth rate and your annual distribution will increase according to your investment results.

NOTE: do some more research on this before you attempt to tackle this on your own. I got a lot of good information from several sources (including some earlier private IRS rulings) before I felt comfortable with all of this.

Good Luck!

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.