UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Watty56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75340  
Subject: Re: Regrouping Date: 3/9/2011 3:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
There are three reasons that I would tend to not roll the money into the TSP unless you could come up with some really compelling cost savings.

1) As you get near to retirement you may want to buy individual bonds. When rates change individual bonds behave so much differently than a bond mutual fund that they are almost a different asset class. When you are nearing retirement you may want to either build a bond ladder or buy long term TIPS and you cannot do this in the typical 401k so I would assume that the TSP is the same.

2) When you are near retirement and over 59.5 you might want to do something like buy a retirement home while you are still working. With an IRA you could withdrawal the money while you are still working. I am not sure if the TSP would allow this.

3) You may like the costs and fund selection of the TSP now, but if you have decades until retirement that can change.

... - any thoughts on a conversion?...

The tax rates on the first $50K or so of income is pretty low after your personal exemption and standard deduction. Until you are on track to have more than $50K in taxable retirement income, putting very much into a Roth doesn't always make a lot of sense. Having some money in a Roth is good though, to cover years in retirement when you have a large expense like buying a car.

Once you retire you may be able to do some Roth conversions then and be in a lower tax bracket.

.... Also, wondering if I need the services of a professional?...
That could help, but ask if you don't know just how risky it is to use one that is not "fee only" and charges by the hour Be careful with the ones that charge 1% of you assets each year, over 20 years that adds up to 20% of your current money (more or less).

Greg
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement