No. of Recommendations: 5
There are times when Fools rush in where angels fear to tread. I fear that this is one of these times. The reputation of ITF and other boards precede it, so it's with not a small amount of trepidation that I post here.

There are many people on message boards with an axe to grind. The pendulum, then, can swing in two different directions; in one direction you have the anarchy of Usenet. I for one don't mind it (although I could do without the pr0n popping up in every other post on some boards -- I am certain that none of those examples of female pulchritude would know a Java applet if it smacked them between the eyes. But I digress.

The other extreme of the pendulum is an autocratic, rigid framework which allows posts only if they echo the party line. This too gets old really fast.

However, I'm wondering if we need to limit ourselves to these two extremes. Why couldn't we come up with a way similar to /. meta-moderation?

For those unfamiliar with it, Slashdot (http://slashdot.org) allows users to 'moderate' their posts (similar to a rec here on the Fool.) It also has a 'meta-moderation' function where randomly selected users are asked to look at the choices that moderators made -- and vote whether the MODERATION was fair or unfair. Moderators who are meta-moderated negatively eventually get offered moderation less and less, and the end result is that an 'unfair' moderator gets 'voted off the island.'

Thoughts? Criticisms?

Print the post  

Announcements

Community Town Hall
Banter, potshots, and all the stuff we said you can't post on ITF. Why not try it?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement