UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ascenzm Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 757325  
Subject: There goes Tejas Date: 11/12/2012 12:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
http://www.businessinsider.com/texas-swing-state-blue-electi...

“In not too many years, Texas could switch from being all Republican to all Democrat,” he said. “If that happens, no Republican will ever again win the White House. New York and California are for the foreseeable future unalterably Democrat. If Texas turns bright blue, the Electoral College math is simple. We won’t be talking about Ohio, we won’t be talking about Florida or Virginia, because it won’t matter. If Texas is bright blue, you can’t get to two-seventy electoral votes. The Republican Party would cease to exist. We would become like the Whig Party. Our kids and grandkids would study how this used to be a national political party. ‘They had Conventions, they nominated Presidential candidates. They don’t exist anymore.’”

Cruz is right: Without Texas' 38 electoral votes, it would be virtually impossible for Republicans to win a presidential election. There is simply not a corresponding state that Republicans are targeting to go from blue to red.

Sylvia Manzano, an analyst at the polling firm Latino Decisions, said that Texas could be in play by as early as 2016 — if Democrats are willing to work for it and its steadily growing Latino population.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 654791 of 757325
Subject: Re: There goes Tejas Date: 11/12/2012 2:16 PM
Recommendations: 2
We would become like the Whig Party

The Whig Party vanished on account of its inability to deal with the slavery issue. It was founded in 1854 and put Lincoln in the WH by 1860. The upcoming Civil War rearranged the American political landscape.

As the article alluded, we are about to go through another political alignment caused by demographics and economic issues. Nobody knows how it's all going to shake out.

If I were the Dems, I wouldn't get too smug. They have bought off everyone they can, but the wallet is empty. And they are hardly going to get the economic issue right. I just can't see massive debt levels, high taxes, and regulations encouraging too many people to start businesses.

This election has been an eye opener for me. As much as I hate to admit it, the Dems have a point. The country is changing and they have been doing a great job at locking folks onto their plantation. But after Obama leaves the place a total shambles by 2016, I can't see too many folks eager to carry the Obama banner.

It should be clear to the regulars here that I am a libertarian oriented dude. I have tolerated the Social Cons and the War Hawks mainly because I had to, since both parties are a group of different interest groups, and the GOP was the only viable option for those who beleive in free market solutions to societal problems.

Since the Dems are going to get what they want for the next four years, I see no reason to continue to break bread with folks that I find only marginally more tolerable then the libs.

If the GOP morphs into something akin to the Libertarian Party, then they'll earn my vote, but not until.

Except for abortion, I am pretty laissez-faire on social issues, and having spent 21 years in the military makes me very unwilling to support military adventurism. I am not a pawn piece.

Liberty is a winning issue. If it isn't then we are soooooo screwed, it's unreal.

Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 654793 of 757325
Subject: Re: There goes Tejas Date: 11/12/2012 2:23 PM
The Whig Party vanished on account of its inability to deal with the slavery issue. It was founded in 1854 and put Lincoln in the WH by 1860. The upcoming Civil War rearranged the American political landscape.

I meant the GOP was founded in 1854, obviously.

Author: TerryMcK Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 654807 of 757325
Subject: Re: There goes Tejas Date: 11/12/2012 3:41 PM
Recommendations: 0
If this does occur, it will not be only due to the increased latino population. People are coming to Texas in huge numbers for work and low cost of living. You can't swing a cat without hitting an out of state license plate, and most of them are coming in from blue states.

Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 654845 of 757325
Subject: Re: There goes Tejas Date: 11/12/2012 6:15 PM
Recommendations: 3
"Sylvia Manzano, an analyst at the polling firm Latino Decisions, said that Texas could be in play by as early as 2016 — if Democrats are willing to work for it and its steadily growing Latino population."

The obvious solution is to limit growth of the Latino population. Unfortunately, the true meaning of "comprehensive immigration reform" is "comprehensive amnesty" and subsequently, comprehensive surrender.

~aj

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 654850 of 757325
Subject: Re: There goes Tejas Date: 11/12/2012 6:56 PM
The obvious solution is to limit growth of the Latino population. Unfortunately, the true meaning of "comprehensive immigration reform" is "comprehensive amnesty" and subsequently, comprehensive surrender.

I wonder if Reagan's 1986 amnesty of illegals will be seen as the beginning of the end for the Republican party?

Author: JediGALT Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 654871 of 757325
Subject: Re: There goes Tejas Date: 11/12/2012 8:33 PM
Yep. People told me I was nutty when I used to say that Texas will be a purple swing state soon. It won't be quite as close as Ohio, but nevertheless, it won't be a Red State long.

But hey, cheap labor and low prices means everything. That's what Americanism is.

Enjoy.....

JediG

Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 654896 of 757325
Subject: Re: There goes Tejas Date: 11/13/2012 3:17 AM
"But hey, cheap labor and low prices means everything. That's what Americanism is."

Yet we used to produce just that with nothing but domestic labor, so it can be done.

~aj

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 655185 of 757325
Subject: Re: There goes Tejas Date: 11/14/2012 9:34 PM
“In not too many years, Texas could switch from being all Republican to all Democrat,” he said.

I didn't know decath was moving.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 659990 of 757325
Subject: Re: There goes Tejas Date: 12/14/2012 8:17 AM
wolverine wrote: Liberty is a winning issue. If it isn't then we are soooooo screwed, it's unreal.

Rand Paul 2016

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 659998 of 757325
Subject: Re: There goes Tejas Date: 12/14/2012 8:35 AM
Terry wrote: You can't swing a cat without hitting an out of state license plate, and most of them are coming in from blue states.

The Great California Exodus: A Closer Look

For decades after World War II, California was a destination for Americans in search of a better life. In many people’s minds, it was the state with more jobs, more space, more sunlight, and more opportunity. They voted with their feet, and California grew spectacularly (its population increased by 137 percent between 1960 and 2010). However, this golden age of migration into the state is over. For the past two decades, California has been sending more people to other American states than it receives from them. Since 1990, the state has lost nearly 3.4 million residents through this migration.

More at http://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/cr_71.htm#.UMsqzqU8-...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement