UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (76) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 881718  
Subject: Re: Sunday Library Service Date: 3/24/2013 9:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
there have been times within the last couple months, when my laptop was out for repair, that the local library was a god send. As someone who is currently unemployed, I wouldn't have been able to apply for jobs otherwise.

Where I live (Michigan), unemployment taxes fund job centers where any unemployed person can use a computer to search for jobs. I know because I availed myself of their services when I was seeking employment.

Whereas at the public library, I didn't spend a dime, other than a little under a dollar for printing the pages I needed.

Of course you spend dimes — that is, if you pay the taxes that support that library. If there were no public library, your taxes would be lower, and you'd have the money to pay for Kinkos, or to fix your computer.

(If there's an Apple Store nearby, you can also use their computers for free, too. They won't chase you out or put a time limit on your usage.)

I would rather pay taxes for educational institutions… than the continual greasing of foreign nations…

Why choose when we can say no to both?

I'm all in favor of providing financial assistance to those who lack enough money to buy food, but I don't think we need government-run supermarkets to provide that food, nor do I think that food assistance should be provided to those who aren't in need.

Likewise I favor financial assistance to those who lack enough money to buy an education for their children, but I don't think we need government-run schools, nor do I think the wealthy should get a subsidy when it comes to their children's education.

(Perhaps there is a person who can explain to me why we have "food stamps" that allow the poor to decide where to shop and what to buy, but we don't "education stamps" and allow those same poor people to decide where to buy an education for their children. But I haven't met that person yet.)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (76) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Reestablishing the Middle Class
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement